Support for TAs
If you have TAs supporting your course, there are a few issues you will need to consider. We have resources to support you and your TAs.
- TA Guide
- Share the TA Start Up Guide with all of your TAs (downloadable PDF)
- TA Certificate in Teaching Course
- Professional Development Workshops
- Resources for TAs (Discipline-specific, handbooks, feedback, etc)
- External online modules created specifically for graduate student TAs
- Resources for using Moodle
- The training required to perform TA duties needs to be factored into your TA’s hours and recorded in the TA Workload Form (downloadable PDF).
- It takes longer to teach and learn online, so time is very important for you to consider as you assign TA hours.
- Ask your TAs how they prefer to support your course, learning about their strengths, and using those strengths to best support you, your course, and your students.
- Be prepared to spend time facilitating remote conversations about your course with your TAs on an ongoing basis.
- Consult Communication Strategies for tools, resources and best practices for ensuring smooth communication with your team remotely.
- Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Moodle Chat
- Resource for Zoom: https://yorku.zoom.us
- Resources for Microsoft Teams: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/microsoft-teams-video-training-4f108e54-240b-4351-8084-b1089f0d21d7?wt.mc_id=otc_home
- Resources for Moodle Chat: https://lthelp.yorku.ca/communication/using-chat-rooms
- Instructions need to be carefully recorded and communicated online. This includes clear written communication and expectations with your teaching team.
- Be prepared to spend time facilitating conversations about your course with your TAs and other teaching team members on an ongoing basis.
- Devise a communication and meeting plan for you and your team. For example, determine when face-to-face meetings via Zoom are necessary, and when email or live chat communication via Moodle will suffice.
© Blended and Online Learning (BOLD), Teaching Commons & Learning Technology Services, York Univeristy. Unless otherwise stated, all content on the Going Remote - York University site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommerical 4.0 International license. If you reuse this work, please attribute BOLD, York University and include a link to https://bold.info.yorku.ca/
Icons created by Font Awesome